Monday, August 27, 2007

Weekend Recap

Well, first things first.

Thanks to my good friend Mike who came to visit me in Scotland this past weekend. He is heading back to Canada this week and is going to be away from his girlfriend until Christmas. But being the degenerate poker player that he is, he came over to see me for a couple days. Good to see you.

Mike came Thursday night and we played some online and ordered Chinese food, of which I ate too much. Poker wise I lost three heads up games in a row for the first time ever after endurring some ridiculous outdraws. (3 times in a row I got my money in as a 66% or higher fav and lost) While Mike destroyed the 6 handed $13 sngs. Mike stayed up till 4am playing as I had work the next day and he would be bored so he was hopnig to sleep for most of it.

I go to work, and then come home Friday afternoon to find Mike sitting at the computer, not showered, not having eaten all day and the first words out of his mouth as I walk in the room are 'so many bad beats today, this is disgusting, you have no idea'. God I miss talking poker all day. So we talk about his online day which was quite bad, and then I play a few heads up matches and run alright. So we get cleaned up and call a taxi. Taxi arrives and takes us to Argyle Street where we walk to KFC. (Point of interest, cab driver was a New England Patriots fan and a BoSox fan. Kindred spirit if there ever was one) We eat some KFC and head to the Cincin club for a 25£ freeze. As we are walking I realise I have lost my glasses and sunglasses which were both in my pouch on my hoodie. Damn. (I dont wear sunglasses, but I bring them to form a little box on the table to protect my cards from my neighbors.) So we go back to KFC, no luck, head to the club and call the cab company to check the cab, no luck. So I lost a nice pair of sunglasses and a pair of prescription glasses. Damnit. Anyways.

The tourney is highly ineventful for both me and Mike. I start with 10K and never get above 13K. I lose some on a bad steal with QT and get raised all in by shortie. I call as I am getting odds until I find he has AA and I dont hit. Then I push 99 into JJ and I am done. Mike pushed AQ into AK after losing a big hand with Ax against J9 all in pre. So we left the club frustrated and went to the Counting House (just off George Square) for a pint. I had a pint of Carling, Mike had Magners, and we spent about 5£ playing a video touch screen game. One game was called 'Losers Win' where there were questions and to get it right you had to answer wrong. You would think this is easy, but trust me, its not.

We then walk to Buchanan and grab a chips cheese and curry sauce (dont knock it till you try it) which is absolutely delicious. And we talk about University days while we eat in the middle of the street. We then grab a cab and head back to my flat. We get in, and the fiancee is just leaving to go dancing with friends while Mike and I get ready for an eveing of online poker. Is life not perfect when everyone is happy? We both play the $22 six handed deep stack tourney and the 100K garunteed $10 both on Stars. I also play a $6.50 bounty tourney on UB and a $10 tourney on Will Hill. The UB goes down in flames when I push with TPTK against a flopped straight, but the WH tourney goes well but I lose some crucial hands on the Final Table for 7th of 90 and $20 profit. The deepstack is going well and both Mike and I are getting some chips. As time goes on, we actually get moved to the same table and I freak out. I sit out and contact stars to make sure it is ok that we are both playing in the same room and we are on the same table. I sit out for 20 mins waiting for confirmation. (when we were seated at the same table and I was sitting out Mike and I never discussed the hands I folded until he was out of the hand) Stars finally emailed me to say it was ok, so I began playing again. It didnt help Mike though, as soon after, he had QQ and raised 3x bb and was called in two spots. Flop comes 9T3. It ends up that all three players are all in with JJ, QQ and JQ (JQ called two all ins, worst play ever) So obviously, the turn is an 8 and Miek goes down in flames when the river is no help. He was bummed. He actually got QQ again shortstacked and I raised with AJs. He pushed and I called. I hit an ace and he was gone. Unlucky Mike, that QJ call was awful. So anyways, I am playing well and when the bubble bursts (340 started) I am 14th of 30. $1600 for first, yes, I want to win badly. Then comes this hand.

I am in the BB and get 94o. The button flat calls, the small blind completes and I check. Flop comes 959. SB checks, I check, button leads out. Small Blind raises and I reraise thinking the small blind is trying to steal. Button folds, small blind calls. I think he is on a flush draw. Turn is an offsuit K. he checks I push, he calls with A9, river is a brick and I am gone. God Damnit. Pissed me off so much. I had like 50K at 400-800 blinds and I lose on one hand. I should never have gone broke there, but I should have lost a lot. Tough to get away from, but I should not have pushed. I was sure he was drawing though. C'est la vie. Great tourney though, ridiculous amounts of play.

The next morning, Mike and I talk some more about poker and whatnot, and play a little, then the fiancee and I drive Miek to the airport. On the way we agree that he and I as well as a few poker playing friends should plana trip to Vegas at some point. Sounds good to me.

I end up watching Go with teh fiancee that afternoon after getting some Greggs sandwiches and crisps, then watching X-Factor (whatever, its not that bad a show) and we then go see The Bourne Ultimatum which is just awesome. Sunday our water heater breaks and we stay in bed till like 3pm hoping it will fix itself and letting the water run. It didnt. We watched Batman Begins waiting for the repair guy to come, but he takes to long so we cancel and we will get a local guy who is much cheaper today. We head to Asda for groceries, and then when I get home I play some more heads up games. I got sucked out big time the first two games, but then I ran good and actually ended up sucking out on some other guy so it was ok. I am currently at 32-15 with my heads up 100 game quest. Not as good as I would like to be, but 68% is apparently pretty sound. I think I should be able to go on a run and hit 73-75% by the time I finish. I would have to go 4 wins of 5 games for the remainder but I am confident it can be done.

Anways, I should be playing more tonight.

No comments: