Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Little Brothers, Credit Cards, Full Tilt, and the Future

Well after not posting in awhile I feel that I should update everyone on my goings on in the poker world.

OK, so I emptied my Stars account except for $250 which I was going to use for sats, maybe a deepstack tourney or two, and maybe a few others. Well two weekends ago, the fiancee's little brother who is eleven hopped on my computer to play using play money 'just like he does at home'. That night I logged on and saw my balance as $3.50. I had no idea what happened, so I had my hand history emailed to me. Turns out the little brother hopped on a $2-$4 table and went through $240 in eleven hands. At one point he called a $67 bet on the river with A4 on a 678QK board, when the guy had 9T, (otherwise known as the nuts). What could I do or say? Nada. Told the fiancee who gave him a good talking to, and to be fair he is a really nice kid and genuinely thought he was playing for fun. So that wasnt cool.

When I last posted I had opened an account on William Hill. Well being an idiot I signed up using the fiancees name as I was a bit scared rakeback would not be possible due to the fact this would have been my second account. I then deposited money using MY CREDIT CARD. See the problem? They shut down my account after an hour (albeit a very productive hour). I called them and this is what they needed to change the name of the account. Photocopies of: my passport, her passport, front and back of my credit card, a letter showing my credit card belongs to my address, and a handwritten letter signed by us both. ANNOYING! But with that much money in the account, there was no way I wasnt doing it.

I have been playing on Full Tilt recently and the site is not bad. Once you get rid of the avatars and weird background stuff, it is ok. A major breakthrough though occured last week when I found out Full Tilt acquired re-sizeable tables. Great News! So I have decided to do the following. From now on William Hill will be my cash site. Full Tilt will be my SnG site. I enjoy cash and SnG's and I believe that playing each solely at one site, I will get better accustomed to the players there. I am hoping for atleast forty SnG's a week on Full Tilt, but I have not decided on hands on William Hill. I am getting rakeback on both with a small bonus for cash tables on Will Hill so it makes sense.

However I am going to use proper bankroll management on both. I had a bit of a revelation last week whilst thinking about a hand I had played. When playing cash, winning pots is not important, making good decisions is. If I suck out on a player, yes the short term benefits are great, but the long term benefits are not because to have to rely on luck to win...not a good trait for a poker player to have.

I have $315 on Full Tilt and I am playing only the $6.50 turbos. A benefit FT has over Stars though is the next jump in turbos on FT is $11.50, whereas on Stars it was $16. So with 50 buyins needed to make the jump (I am saying 50 now but I will think about it some more and possibly wait till I have more just to get used to the site) meaning I need atleast $575 before I can think about leaving the $6.50 turbos.

As for cash I need more than 50 buyins, possibly more than 100 buyins. (I am going to ask around to some cash players who are smart with their roll to know exactly how many) On William Hill I have $520 or so, meaning I dont have close to 50 buyins for their smallest tables. I will be patrolling those waters for some time. However, with rakeback and some monthly bonuses I am hoping it wont be too long. But to get to the tables I really want to play .50-1, I think that 5K-6K is needed. Yes, I have a lot of work ahead of me. Good thing I love the game.

With my online poker future now set, I promise to update more.

Heres to hoping

1 comment:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

25 buyins is more than sufficient up to NL50 mate as the play is so bad ABC poker wins all day every day. You'd need 100 buyins if you were pro and relied totally on your roll for your job but not as a recreational player.

Have a look at www.pocketfives.com and look for the bankroll management article by Fox. It is a great little article with some bankroll guidelines thrown in.