Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Grinding it Out

Yesterday was a true day of grinding. I played eighteen $6 heads up matches going twelve wins and six losses. By no means is that fantastic as I feel as though I should have been 14-4 or possible 15-3, but 12-6 is ok I guess. The players at this level are incredibly diverse. One game my opponent is strong who I have to grind down and another may be a total donk who pays me off in full when I have the nuts and he has third pair.

One game I was disappointed in lasted all of two hands. The first hand of the match, he moved in and I folded. The second hand I limped with 6c4c and he checked. The flop came Kc6d2c. I had 2nd pair, a flush draw and a backdoor straight draw. He pushed in 1480 chips into the 40 chips pot. I called and he showed Kd3c. I ended up losing the hand and the match. Based on his play I should have waited but I was so anxious to see so many draws and I didnt believe he had a K. Oh well.

I enjoyed playing though I must say. Not much money I know, but to grind out a profit rather than short climaxes of a massive hand in cash or playing above myself in SnG's was a welcome feeling. I am currently sitting on $133 on Stars (I made a mistake yesterday, I did not have $120 but rather 100 to start this little HU challenge). But for a player with 100 in the account, $30 is quite an increase. Not many people can say they increased their roll by 30% in one sitting lol.

9 days till I go to the States. I spoke to my friend Francis who is already in New York and he told me that the night before a bunch of counselors played a $5 freezeout. He flopped a boat and ended up being called by a counselor from Greece who had a straight 8-J. Yes 8,9,T,J...a straight. Otherwise known as jack high, nothing, nada, zilch.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to playing.

No comments: