Thursday, October 26, 2006

Calling Range

Last night I played in a SnG and was dealt KK the very first hand. I was UTG (under the gun) meaning I was the first to act as the BB was to my direct right. I thought about my options. I could flat call and hope for a raise from somewhere else where I could re-pop them and put them all in. I could min raise and hope for a reraise so I could re-pop them. I could raise big to maybe 200 or so hoping for 1 or 2 callers and going all in on any non ace flop, or I could simply go all in right away and look like an idiot gambler hoping from a call from a weak ace or a pocket pair who thinks he is ahead. I chose to go all in for the 1500. The only hand that is ahead of me is AA and if I am called by AA then unlucky me. When I have KK I am not folding it and no matter if I raise or flat call, with AA also at the table the money is going in preflop. Any other caller I am ahead of.

So this brings about the question. What would you people call with if another player went all in on the first hand of a SnG?

PS It was folded around to the BB who called with 99. The flop gave came 9 high and I was out. Just unlucky for me, I am pleased with the way I played the hand. If I had raised or flat called and then went all in on the flop, I would have been behind, as it stands I will take an 80%-20% hand all in preflop anyday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Andrew, tis a good question-for me it would depend on how much i was playing for. in a $5 game id call with jj qq kk aa and ak. reason being is at this level ive seen players go all in first hand with aj aq a8 even! plus im not that bothered about $5 if they have a better hand than that fair enough.

$10 game only qq kk aa any bigger buy in im only calling with kings and aces

Anonymous said...

forgot to say it was me who posted:-) cambo