Friday, October 27, 2006

Mixing It Up

Yesterday I had a few hours to play as the girlfriend stayed late at work. I started out playing some 6.50 turbos and I didnt fair very well, quickly losing two of them. Rather then sign up for more, I was in the mood for an MTT of sorts, so I started playing some 5.50 two and three table SnG's. One aspect I had not thought of for these tables, which is both good practice yet terribly annoying, is the fact that each time I got to the final table, there would be an absolute monster stack of around 10,000 chips while the rest of the table was near 2500-3500. Plus the blinds were relatively small so it made it difficult to bully as the players at this level call raises with KQ and AT. Plus both times the chipleader was on my immediate left making it difficult for me to steal blinds. But as I said, good practice to work on short stack play.

After giving the multi table SnG's at the 5.50 level, I tried the 2 table 6.50 turbos. Wow, I played two and won both. $13 to play, $86.40 back. They are great as in the beginning you can play tight, as in, super tight. Then wait for the blinds to raise. As soon as it gets difficult ie five handed on each, the final table starts and the blinds rise so fast that stealing can result in a 40% increase to your stack but you won't be called without a hand as it would mean 75% of their stack. These tourneys are a bit of a crapshoot late, yes, and if you go card dead it would be difficult. But being aggressive and attacking medium stacks along with not calling without a hand will result in making some profit.



Here is a hand from a 5.50 18 player SnG. I know straight flushes happen quite frequently online, but I believe this is my third. I know the preflop call is loose, but in an 18 man SnG, I like to try and get the big stack by hitting hands like this. If the eight of spade had not hit on the river I would have doubled up as I am pretty sure he had two pair.

Pokerstars Balance - $447.98

No comments: