Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Pokerstars 180 Player SnG

I played a few SnG's and did fairly well, winning 2 of my first four. I kind of got tired of playing though and I was in the mood for an MTT. At the same time, I did not want to break the bank nor did I want to be playing for over six hours. The $4.40 180 player SnG was perfect.

I got off to a good start with a BB special courtesy of Q3 diamonds. The flop came Q high with 2 baby diamonds. I bet and was flat called. The turn was a 3 giving me 2 pair. I bet he raises I go all in and he calls with KK. River was a blank and there was no looking back. After the first hour, I was tourney chip leader.


The second hour this continued and I was still chip leader at the second break. The third hour I just picked up some blinds and avoided the mine field that is short stacks pushing. I played smart and avoided playing large pots with other big stacks, this kept up until the final table where I hit a set against an all in player and then another player bet into the side pot. I put him all in and he called with a pair of fours. He had been playing for over three hours and went out on a hand he had no business in. Oh well, I'll take it. When four handed rolled around I was chipleader.



This is where things went south. I put a shortstack all in with top pair K kicker and he called for his life on a gutshot. I said 'no 8' and I immediately covered my mouth as it seems whenever I do that, the poker gods don't like it. Sure enough the turn was an 8, and just to make sure I saw it, the river was another 8. Damn. I then lost a big pot with AK where I raised big preflop and was called by the BB. The flop was 8 high and I did a continuation bet and he went all in. I had to fold and he showed a set of 8's. After these two hands I was pretty low and I pushed with A4s and was called by A8. No help, gg me.



I enjoyed the tourney and it was fun to play an MTT rather then a SnG. The payday was alright, $85 for 4 dollar investment, can't complain. I will hopefully be playing another one in the near future.

Pokerstars Balance - $384.54

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good result there, would have been nice to take one down. I really need to hit these again with my new Stars account as the play there is so bad it is laughable and I think they're a good way of gaining MTT experience on the cheap without investing 6-8 hours.

Knightsridge said...

totally agree. Good experience for MTT and they only take about 3-3.5 hours. Reasonable for the field number. Kicking myself for not doing better especially with the lead I ahd. Tried to press too much and allowed them back in. Next time.