Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Quality not Quantity

I learned an important lesson this past weekend in regards to online poker. As soon as I stop respecting other players at the table, a losing session will follow. Up to this weekend, I had enjoyed success with my bankroll slowly climbing to my goal of 1000 dollars by Christmas. I was confident and felt that my goal was attainable. On Saturday I played quite a bit, and came out two dollars ahead. On Sunday I felt that another long day would surely lead me towards the $500 mark and possibly beyond. Instead I was humbled and went down to $390. I was disgusted with myself and when I look back at hand histories and game selection I am hugely disappointed. I need to do more then just 'show up' to the table to win. If I am the best player at the table great, but I need to prove it each time if I want the money.

Instead of trying to play as many games as possible, I should be trying to win each game I play. If that is one game in a day or thirty games in a day, it doesn't matter. Last night I was focused and identified some mistakes I had been making. I re-read some posts from early on and recognised that game selection is a big aspect of my success. Instead of playing single table, 18 and 45 man SnG's, I should be concentrating on one. I have chosen to solely play the 18 man turbos. They allow for tight play early and more time to pick your spots. Plus, they only take about ten to fifteen minutes longer then a single table yet award almost first place money from a single table to the third place finisher. I can do well at this level and if I continue to play them, my game will only get stronger, much as it did at the 5.50 SnG's and the 6.50 turbo SnG's.

I played five of the 18 man last night and got a first and a second. Nothing monumental but encouraging. Here's to hoping.

Pokerstars balance - $435.97

1 comment:

Forward Looking Canadian said...

This is an inspirational post! I'm quite confident you can make it to 1000.

On another note, I tried to email your school account today but it bounced back. The thing is, I was simply replying to an old message from you... so what gives?

The jist of the email was "whats goin on with you these days?". I'll try and resend it to mta account later tonight.