Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Red Nose Day

For you UK readers I am sure you are aware of what Red Nose Day is. For any non-UK readers, Red Nose Day is a day of fundraising throughout the UK to help people in different parts of Africa. I do not think you have to go to Africa to find people in need, as plenty of people in the UK need help, but I have no problem supporting it. Anyways, the school I teach at is having activities Friday afternoon. I was going to set up some type of quiz for the kids using movies and music, that was before another teacher approached me asking if I would like to help him run a poker tournament? Hmmmmmm, tough sell....ummmmmm, hell yes.

So this Friday afternoon, three teachers and 27 students (all 5th and 6th years, so most are 17 a few are 18) are paying £5 towards Red Nose Day and are playing a freezeout with the winner receiving a chip set. No money is being won, so there is no gambling, simply people playing cards for a good cause.

I set up a tourney structure that I felt would be good. And because it has to be over in 2 hours it is quite a crapshoot at the end, but I did my best.

Starting stacks of 50 chips, twelve levels of 10 minutes each (2 hours, 1:30-3:30)
1-1
1-2
1-2 (yes there are two levels of 1-2...just to give more play)
2-4
3-6
4-8
6-12
8-16
10-20
15-30
20-40
25-50

By the time the last level ends, it will be 3:30, which is when the bell rings. If people are still remaining, the levels jump to 5 minutes long and double themselves (50-100, 100-200) just to finish the thing close to the right time. I am looking quite forward to it as it definitely beats teaching!

Last Friday one of the kids told me to 'watch myself' as he was quite the player. He 'finished 2nd in a tournament his friends ran and won £10'. I said I would be on the lookout for a shark in the water lol.

2 comments:

Div said...

How about a strip poker tourney vs the 6th year girls. That should make some good money!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I'd help support such an event!