Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Student Poker and &%*#$! Mice!

Student tourney on Friday was a good time, but quite possibly the worst poker ever played. Yes...it was that bad. Calling with 9 high on the river, checking the nuts when last to act on the river, betting 30 chips into a 300 chip pot and getting folds...the list goes on. Fair enough, the kids are not familiar with the game and it was for a good cause, so I am not complaining, merely reporting the manner in which a beautiful game was butchered. (I raised with AA getting 2 callers, the flop came KQ6, I pushed all in and one of the kids instacalled...INSTACALLED...with 56. Yes, he was looking for runner runner to the straight, and no, he was not pot committed lol. The blinds caught up with me and I pushed with Q4 into another teacher's 77...c'est la vie. One of the kids won it, which was good, after his 82 held up in a 3 way all in with him calling after the other two were all in....yes, a deserved victory.

So anyways, recently I have been playing a lot of heads up cash and doing OK. For sure I have learned the importance of being aggressive with the button. Amazing how important it is. I have taken a few lumps (see Vent post below) but I have been more than holding my own. Unfortunately I took a major hit to the roll this morning. Outdraw? Bad Connection? Cold Deck? No....none of those. It was a misclick. I called a 74 pound bet with J6 on a K84 all hearts board. Yes, I know. He had QQ with the Q of hearts and he took it down. I meant to click fold and instead the mouse hit something on the pad or it just jumped or something. But it was not good. Instantly I felt sick. I saw my chips move in and the cards flip over and I saw what was going on. I had the J of hearts and I would have had outs but he had the Q of hearts and I needed runner runner J6 JJ or 66. What really sucked is I had been playing well using good bankroll management but I wanted to take a shot higher then usual. My plan was to play a little and get out if any damage was being done. Never got the chance. So with my tail firmly between my legs I trudged back to the depths of 25-50 cent poker. And there I will lurk for the time being.

So. I now have $400 on William Hill (I know I had so much more...I think I was at 720 a few days back, but I got stacked in a 50-1 game and then this morning so 430 it is. Workable and manageable.

I have also been reading some blogs recently that talk about the amount of professionalism they apply to the game (this includes the guys who live near some friends who track their money meticulously) and if I ever want to play professionally, (which is definitely my goal) I should to. Therefore, I plan on keeping my stats on this blog. So each day will be a new post saying how that day went, and if I can, the best and worst played hands by myself.

PS I know that 400 is not enough for a 25-50 cent game but I am buying in for $25 so I have 16 buyins rather than 8.

Heres to hoping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi jimbo!
I myself am back on Billys.....Bubbled the wsop $530 main event sat on sunday night...sick .

You keep saying you have $$ in your billys account, but you should have ££ LOL.....

Great Blog, me myself am only ever going to play MTT from now...Like you I love the game, but want to focus on one aspect.....Mtt brings glory laddie!

Knightsridge said...

Well my name isn't Jim, but because you read my blog, hell, you can call me Sally.

BUBBLE! That is sick. What was the hand? I woulda been crushed. I know £££ not $$$ but I am Canadian and grew up with $$$, cannot change that I am afraid.

I enjoy MTT's so much, they are great and nothing gets the heart pumping like a deep finish, but the fiancee aint a fan. She likes heads up SnG's...turbos at that lol. But whenever I can, I like to play them. You ever play a deepstack tourney on Stars? Great structure, plenty of play. I did well in one a few Saturdays back, it was a good game.