Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Last Night

Last night I played a bunch of multis following up on my performance in the deepstack. They are relatively cheap when you compare the buyin to the prizes and they are a lot of fun.

I signed up for two 180 man tournies, a $20 and a $10, the $3 rebuy, a 45 man $10 SnG and a $6.50 turbo to alleviate boredom in the early levels.

The turbo I got second losing a race with A9 to 88. Not bad, profit, I'll take it.

The three dollar rebuy I got to 6000 chips early but lost them on a coin flip late in the rebuy stage. Rather then buy back in I left the tourney after having spent $6.30.

The $20 180 man I overplayed QQ when a maniac called a massive raise and then checked an A high flop. I bet out and stupidly pot committed myself when he moved in. I called and he had A6. Dumb move by him, even worse move by me. Next time.

The 45 man I played solid and made the final table. I was below average until I got AKs in the BB. A shortstack raised all in and then the chipleader on the button raised all in to isolate. I am not folding AK in that spot in a million years. They showed 55 and 99. The ace on the river was not a bad card and I went from 8 of 9 to 2 of 9. Ended up getting heads up but never got the hand to finish him off. Played well but only got second. Good for an 85 profit. Great result, but again, first place was 135. Next time.

The 180 man $10 was a great tourney. I was tight early and slowly opened up. I went from 1500-3500 without too much trouble and then got KK all in against JJ. My cowboys held up and I was around 7000. Without about 45 players left I found QQ on the button and raised. The BB called. The flop came Q high and in the end we got it all in against his AQ. I was sailing, third or fourth in chips of the remaining players. Little while later I get KK in the and the UTG min raises. I want to know if he has aces, so I raise him another 1400. (which was a lot considering he went from 200 and raised to 400) If he pushed all in I would have folded. I know I would have, and if he has aces he would do that, no way does he slow play there after my big raise. He calls, I then think QQ or maybe JJ. The flop comes 68T and he checks, I put him all in and he instacalls with...AA you say? no....66. WTF. He called a 1400 raise with 66 when he only had 5400 left. Nice hand sir. I went back to playing tight. So tight in fact I didnt look at my cards. Why you ask? Well because my internet sucks of course and I disconnected. I immediately phoned Mike in Toronto, "Mike, you gotta play for me" "Can't bro, just signed up for four multis, shit, wait...." "No it's cool Mike, I'll phone my brother" I call Sydney Nova Scotia (eastern Canada) where my twenty year old little brother lives "Hi Mom, yeah great to hear from you to, listen is Steven there? Dont worry Mom, nothing is wrong" "Is this about poker, because if it is..." "No mom not about poker at all (she hates that we play)" "Hi Steven load up stars, you need to play for me" "ok one sec...aww this sucks, our internet is down for some reason"

I have deduced it was one of those internet problems that affects Glasgow and Sydney at the same time so I let the fiancee talk to my mom and I then paced the room while windows and the connection restarted. Just to reiterate, I am shortstacked, blinds are 600-1200, there are 25 players left, 18 make money, $540 to first. Yeah it sucked big time. When I finally got back on, I went from 12K to 8K but strangely we were in the money with 18 players left and I was 16th. Few hands later I pick up AK of diamonds in the BB. Chip leader raises, 2nd chipleader calls on the button. I go all in, original raiser folds, caller....calls with AJ. Flop gives me the nuts, all diamonds, and I am back in it. The final comes soon after and I am feeling good. That was until I had QJ all in vs a shortstack's QT and he pulls a straight with the ten, and with four left I re raise all in with AK against the shortie who flips over AQ. Q on the turn. Damnit. I push very shortstacked soon after with KJ and BB finds QQ, no K and I am gone in 4th.

Very frustrated as I was the better player I think, and this morning when I had tournament history sent to me, AQ boy won the damn thing. Cant have it all I suppose. But no queen and I am 2nd in chips...aww what could have been. Next time (hopefully tonight)

Who woulda thunk it, me an MTT player and no longer an SnG grinder. lol

3 comments:

Swifty said...

Losing connection is one of the most annoying things about online poker. It happens without warning.

It's even worse if you get dealt your cards when the hand's been started. Dealt bullets with an ace on the flop I've got a fair deal of money in the pot and then, kapput. Even the two minute delay that Stars has for disconnected players wasn't enough and by the time I get back I've cashed but am just about blinded out.

Grrr ;

Interesting read - you'll take one down eventually, but when it gets to the final few it's usually a crapshoot. Online especially the best player doesn't always win.

Cash is cash!

Knightsridge said...

I couldnt stop walking around the room I was so hyper. All I wanted to do was log back on and play.

Brutal about the AA, I have that happen to me as well.

I hope to take one down in the near future!

Anonymous said...

whats happenning here
nothing for a week have you given up poker ?
maybe you bought a playstation
This is Horse SHIT