Wednesday, January 17, 2007

New Game Plan

Well last night I was at a cross roads in my online poker existence. I sat at the computer and I didnt know what game to play. I really didnt. My first thought I had was to play a few turbos but as I went to register I had some anxiety about the thought of pushing and being called. Not a good frame of mind to be in.

I thought about where I had been having success and I realised that leading up to Christmas I was having quite a bit of success on the cash tables. The levels I was playing were over my head however and because I was only playing one table at a time I trying to make things happen out of nothing, not a good combination. I was also playing some six handed tables, something that takes away from what I believe to be one of my biggest assets, my patience. I therefore hopped on the Blonde Poker Forum (a fourm based type of message board site which is free to join and gives you access to tourney articles and updates, poker hand analysis, live and internet poker forums as well as sports and general discussion forums. My game has improved immensely since I joined the site, check it out blondepoker.com) and I looked up some past cash game threads. I read them and formulated a very basic strategy (something I did not have before). This new strategy of mine was based solely around position and not getting hung up on protecting my big blind. This was something that a few posts remarked was overrated and was silly to play a raised pot out of position.

I took this strategy of mine and plunked down at a $.25-$.50 cent table and bought in for $3o. This went on for a few rounds and I got very bored. Not due to the play of the table, but after playing four turbos, I was missing the other tables. So, I loaded up three more tables to see where it took me. I ended about an hour later up $90. My lowest table balance was $24 with the highest being $76. I was very pleased with this. I didnt know if this was a one off, so I played again today for two more sessions. The first I played for 45 minutes and ended up being up $62. The second session I just finished a few minutes ago and I was up another $71. Very happy.

I like the tables a lot as the players are not aggressive at all and I was just patient. I played tight for awhile and showed any big hands that people folded to my raises. After showing big hands, people labeled me a rock. Then I raised with suited connectors near the button played most of my buttons. Called a few raises in late position and reraised them on the flop. If they called I fired a second bullet on the turn and no one called. The tables I have played thus far have been weak and there is a noticeable difference between them and the next jump up to the $.50-$1 tables.

I am going to keep playing the cash for another few days and I may decide after that to try some more SnGs. Not sure right now. Just going to enjoy the little profit maker I am currently riding.

No comments: