Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Update

OK.

Well I am taking a break from my goal of 500 turbos in a month. I cannot continue to play those games as I fear for my sanity. I truly do. Last night was the turning point.

I was the chipleader with four players left. With blinds at 300-600 I raise all in with A7. The shortest stack is in the BB and I wanetd to isolate him, and knew the others would fold to get in the money. But I was wrong. The 2nd in chips calls, no...instacalls, from the BUTTON! He didnt even have any chips in the pot. He flips over QJ suited. He called for all his chips on the bubble with QJ. He hit a jack and I was in the BB next hand with 500 behind. I did my best but the 2nd shortie woke up with aces and beat my A8s. I then asked why he called, and his response? 'I thought I was ahead'. He is behind any ace, any king, and any pair. He is not in the blinds and was in no way committed to the pot. I know that most times I will win that pot and coast through to first. But that isnt the point. My game is advancing but I am stuck playing the same players. I was not on tilt, but I was looking to prove to myself I could play at a higher level....Do you feel a bad bankroll management moment coming up? Me to.

I looked at the turbos page on stars (their new SnG filter which came last week is great) and I saw that a 55+5 turbo had eight players and was waiting for another player. Why, I'm another player! I quickly signed up before I could stop myself. One game to see how I stack up against players that normally play this level, and perhaps some that play it for their sole income. Well to make a long story short, I got second. The first hand of heads up I got it all in with A9 against his....A9. The board apparently got confused with this though, and wasn't sure how to do a split pot so it brought four hearts to make his Ace of hearts very important. Damnit. First place was $250 but my second place money of $150 was not too shabby at all.

Now does this mean I am going to start playing these tables? Hell no. I just wanted to have a one off where I took a stab at higher limits. Can I play with them, absolutely, would I go broke with my current roll, hell yes.

I was thinking about what levels to play and I may try some normals again. The turbos are good, but if I play anything higher than 6.50 I would feel uncomfortable playing more than one table. And if I am only playing one table, why play a turbo? I was looking at the two table SnG's and they look tempting. Big prize pool and you only have to double up once before the final table where it becomes a SnG. I like my chances. I may try one or two tonight and see how I get on. The fiancee may want some 'us' time tonight though and with CSI on tonight, who can blame her? Thus I may just play a few cash tables and see how I get on.

Until next time, good luck on the virtual felt.

2 comments:

Swifty said...

The first hand of heads up I got it all in with A9 against his....A9. The board apparently got confused with this though, and wasn't sure how to do a split pot so it brought four hearts to make his Ace of hearts very important. Damnit

I genuinely feel your pain. Take a quick peek at my recent blog entries (shameless plug!) and see just why.

The bit about 'I thought I was ahead' rang particularly true...

Chin up eh? Makes it slightly less painful when fate smacks you on the jaw ;)

Yorkshire Pudding said...

The turbo's are great for hourly rate but they involve much more luck than standard SnG's. I saw one Sheets, arguablly the best online SnG player, played and he didn't actually play a hand, apart from the BB, in 26 hands then just pushed at the right times and he won. That's what he does all the time and he tears up the $555's and $1k's. They're too mechanical for me and too full of retards at the stakes we can currently afford to safetly play!