Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Lee Jones, Why Do You Hate Me?

Ok, first off, I would like to say that a reader of my blog contacted me yesterday saying he liked my blog. It is great to know that a total of two people are now reading my poker ramblings. Thanks Neil.

See that picture? Ok, it is a picture of a twenty dollar bill flying away. Well take that picture and multiply its meaning by five and you will be able to see what a great day I had yesterday. Yes, I lost $100. Not cool at all, sucks the big one. Yet I left the tables last night feeling confident. What happened you ask? Well. Where do I begin.

I played two $25 SnG's. Nothing unusual so far. But for some reason I never got cards and when crunch time arrived I could not find a spot to throw my chips in. It was always raised before it got to me...very frustrating. When I finally got a chance with A5, yes I was desperate, the rock next to me woke up with AKs. The other one I lost a race. I was down but not out. I proceeded to convince myself that four tables of $15 was just what I needed. Yes, perfect thiking right? I then donked out of every one. Yes, every one. I could not believe it. I calmed myself and played one $15. I got second. Ok, not bad. I then played two more $25 as my confidence creeped back. Then something happened. I saw the game in a new light. I realised that push botting is the key to these higher level SnG's but at an earlier stage then I had been thinking. I was waiting too long for hands and too often giving players odds to call me in the later stages. I recognised this and played great poker in the last two. Now I only got a third place for a little money in one, and fourth place for nothing in the other, but I was confident. I saw the mistake I clearly made to come fourth and for the third place finish I had 55 beaten by A4 (not too bad if he hits an ace but the board double paired Q's and J's, I hate when that happens) Anyways, I went to bed strangely peaceful knowing I could compete at that level on a reglar basis.

That being said, I think I have been going about it wrong. I have been jumping right into a tough game immediately upon sitting down. I should start smaller and see how I am playing first. See if I am running hot or not, and plus, avoid the massive swings that $25 SnG's can bring. Because when your bankroll is only 25 buyin's, variance is an ugly thing. Therefore, lying in bed last night, when normal people are asleep but poker players with high aspirations are thinking about, what else, poker, I came up with a system I believe will work.

From now on, I am going to play four $6 turbos to begin with. That is $26 dollars on the table, and if I can take first in just one, I make a small, small, small, profit. This gets me thinking about the game and focused on the task at hand without risking too much. If I do not get any results, I can play another round of $6 turbos, or decide it is not my day and cut my losses for another time. If I do well, I will jump into some $15 turbos (two of them meaning $32 on the table) and hope to make some profit. If I am still feeling good, I will try a $25 SnG, and see how it pans out. I know this system is not magical or anything, but it starts me off small and gets my mind into the game gradually instead of hopping right in to a game which can damage my roll with a few bad sessions in a row.

Heres to hoping
Pokerstars balance - $575.01

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are you finding the overall play at the SnG's you're playing? I've heard that the play in these things is pretty poor until you hit the $30+ games. I only ask as I've been playing soley cash games for a month or so now and it's good to have a break and a few donkaments are always good to throw into the mix!

Best of luck at the tables, the $1k barrier will be broken soon enough I'm sure!

Knightsridge said...

The SnG's at the $6 and $15 levels I would say are weak. The $6 much more so. The $15 have some solid players but for the most part not bluffing chips away needlessly and being patient will result in some nice profit. I think the jump to the $25 is noticeable however. Every so often I will see some weak tables but for the most part the $25's have solid four or five handed action, everyone playing well. Plus the push botting skills increase greatly at this level.

I dont play cash at all. I dont like it, but I have been thinking about trying the lowest limits to see how I get on.