Sunday, December 10, 2006

Reflection, Renewal, Insert Catchy Re Word

Friday night I played a bunch of SnG's and I began the night at $550. By the end, it became the single worst night I ever had playing poker. Forgetting about money, it was outdraw after outdraw and coinflips lost at every turn. When the dust had settled I was sitting at $379 and I felt defeated in everyway. By the end of the session I was looking at all the different buyins for SnG's and I honestly could not see myself winning one. I was that low.

I went to bed and pretty much had a restless night. I want to be good at the game but recently the game had not been good to me. I was making the correct plays but was still losing. I know that happens, but it was difficult to take. More so as they had been happening all at once. I took stock of my play and realised that the game selection I have been choosing is restricting my creativity. In SnG's, 88 or 99 is either an all in or a fold after a certain point. I want to call with those hands and see what happens. I feel like a robot playing them as each time I finish one I start another. I want to play poker again. Not only SnG's.

Which is where my next point comes in. I have decided to give cash a go. Now I know that I dont play cash. Infact I never have. I have one book on cash game play and I havent read it yet. That's why I want to play cash. I have no one but myself to rely on. I am in unchartered territory and I like it. I began playing cash yesterday morning and I love it. I am playing the six handed 10/25 cent NL tables. I really like them. I am a pain in the ass to play against judging by the comments in the chat box, but that must be a good thing. No one would complain if I sucked. I am mixing it up big time and playing a ton of hands. I am enjoying the game more then I have in awhile. And to be honest that's the whole point right?

I am currently up to $525 which is obviously a big improvement. However an aspect of cash I like is that there is instant results. In an SnG, if I win a big hand nine handed, I double up, but it means nothing if I finish 4th. I win a big hand in cash, or double up, I am actually in posession of that money. Definitely an incentive to play well.

This may last another few days or it may last longer. Who knows. But I am enjoying it. That's the whole point right?

Heres to hoping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"However an aspect of cash I like is that there is instant results. In an SnG, if I win a big hand nine handed, I double up, but it means nothing if I finish 4th. I win a big hand in cash, or double up, I am actually in posession of that money. Definitely an incentive to play well."

However if you play badly in a SNG and finish 9th then chances are you've only lost the buy in - playing cash you can play badly and lose a lot more in the same short time.

Knightsridge said...

Totally agree Matt. You are right. It is just a new aspect of poker for me at the minute and I am choosing to dwell on the positives. But trust me, that thought is never far away when I am on the table.