Thursday, November 23, 2006

RIP Six Seaters


Well that sucked.

Last night I began playing the six seater $12 SnG's. They are by far the most frustrating tables I have ever played on. My first table I played I looked up each of the players on sharkscope to see their monetary records on pokerstars. Two players were in the megative hundreds, two players were in the negative thousands (including one guy who was down eight grand) and the fifth player was a positive nine dollars in three hundred games. Yes, apparently games like this exist. Then why did I not finish in the money?

These players called everything. Let me repeat that, everything. I folded anything and everything early on waiting for a big hand to get paid off with. Said hand arrives in the form of AA on the button. I raise to 350 with the blinds at 25-50. I get four callers. Let me say that again I had not played a hand in over twenty minutes and I get four callers. The flop comes K98 with two spades. Damn. Dangerous flop. First player bets 3/4 of the pot, second player calls, third player calls, fourth player folds. What do I do? I thought I was ahead so I went all in. Two callers. One player flips up T2 spades. Yes that is the T2 of spades calling a raise of 300. The other player flips over K5o. Yes that hand again is a K5o. The turn is a blank and the river is the five of spades, making my hand the third best. Frustrating to say the least.

Yes I know many people will say I can make money in games like these and that when hands like that call my AA I will win in the long run. But to be honest, I didnt have fun. I played a few more and basically broke even by getting two second places but it wasn't poker, not even at the end. The game was just me sitting there waiting for the nuts, and because it is six handed, there are not enough chips three handed to get creative. All in all, the six seat mania was short lived.

Which brings me to my next point. I think I am going back to the good ole days of min raises and folding everything early. Yes, a normal, run of the mill, ten minute levels, nothing fancy early, fold 77 in early position, stay away from confrontation, nine player SnG's. But not the $5.50, nope, not for this hombre. I am venturing forth to the $10 SnG. The first place money is the same as the $6.50 18 man turbos and the six seater $12 SnG's, so it makes sense. I can't go back to the $5.50 SnG either as I may kill myself playing for over an hour and earning $17. I think I can play well and hopefully go back to the format which was most successful for me. I may also allow myself the occasional foray into the $20 SnG world if I win a few in a row, almost as a reward to liven up the game.

Here's to hoping

No comments: